Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Questions for Atheists

I thought I'd do something fun for this post and answer a set of questions that's been circling the atheist blogroll.

1. How would you define “atheism”?

Lack of belief in a personal creator.

2. Was your upbringing religious? If so, what tradition?

Yes. Church of Christ.

3. How would you describe “Intelligent Design”, using only one word?

Hoax.

4. What scientific endeavour really excites you?

Origin of Life Research.

5. If you could change one thing about the “atheist community”, what would it be and why?

I would make them a little more mature and kinder to theists.

6. If your child came up to you and said “I’m joining the clergy”, what would be your first response?

I accept your decision, but please explain this to me!

7. What’s your favorite theistic argument, and how do you usually refute it?

Consciousness. I don't actually hear it much, but it is an intelligent argument and (at first) seems to defy material explanation. I have an explanation for it here.

8. What’s your most “controversial” (as far as general attitudes amongst other atheists goes) viewpoint?

Probably that the universe sprang from a complete vacuum. More on that here. My second "controversial" viewpoint is that Jesus was a real person.

9. Of the “Four Horsemen” (Dawkins, Dennett, Hitchens and Harris) who is your favourite, and why?

Richard Dawkins because of his science writings. My second pick would be Dennett because of his fascinating writings on the Origin of Religion and Cosciousness.

10. If you could convince just one theistic person to abandon their beliefs, who would it be?

Perhaps if I planned to marry a girl who was Christian it would be her. Otherwise, Ken Ham would be a good candidate for deconversion. Imagine the attention that would bring!

3 comments:

konquererz said...

Great answers! I actually have a controversial view that Jesus likely DIDN'T exist. You might enjoy www.jesusneverexisted.com

I haven't been there in a while, but it updates regularly.

I like the deconversion. I really can't think of someone better to deconvert than say, Pat Robertson.

AIGBusted said...

Hi K,

I've looked at sites like jesus never existed and to be perfectly honest, there is no good evidence that Jesus was derived from an earlier pagan myth. Of course, Christmas and Easter are basically christainized pagan holidays, but they came about long after the alleged jesus lived.

Richard Carrier has written something about this:
http://www.infidels.org/library/modern/richard_carrier/graves.html

Thanks for the comment!
-Ryan

Created Rationalist said...

Here are my answers to those questions http://wwwcreatedrational.blogspot.com/2008/06/alright-ill-join-in.html

Look at them and tell me what you think :)